Showing temperature data into a video feed from Axis camera. Data are fetched from plugged temperature sensor and shown in video
List of supplies & Specification
About the project
We developed a simple integration to visualize measurements of human body temperature by plugging a wall thermometer into a Raspberry Pi and connecting it to an AXIS camera via network.
The thermometer takes people’s temperature and the results are displayed on a screen as a simple infographic using CamOverlay App. The micro app can also send event data to a video management system or other systems via HTTP push or MQTT, so you can search quickly through recorded footage or send notifications to responsible personnel.
This integration is a cost and time-effective virus/ disease prevention measure in office buildings, shops, and other public spaces.
The core of this integration is CamScriper RPi and an RK Technology K3 Pro IR thermometer. The thermometer is plugged directly into a Raspberry Pi, CamScripter RPi forwards the data into an AXIS camera and the measurements are displayed via CamOverlay App graphics.
Our thermometer integration is a great solution for efficient health monitoring in shops, office buildings, and factories. It’s fast, convenient, and utilizes a thermometer model available all around the world.
What do you need?
Axis network camera
- Use any compatible camera from Axis Communications with ARTPEC-5/6/7/8 processor
- The Axis camera portfolio can be found at axis.com
- Don’t forget to check the compatibility with CamStreamer apps
- MSRP $419 (AXIS P1135)
- High-quality, two-part ABS construction
- Cut-outs for the dual micro HDMI, Audio/Video, USB and Ethernet ports, as well as the USB-C power connector and access to the microSD card.
- MSRP approx. $75
RK Technology K3 Pro IR thermometer
- Simple, fast and accurate, non-contact IR thermometer for temperature measurement at inputs or ducts.
- The IR thermometer can be mounted on a wall or on a tripod.
- 0–50 °C
- Response time 0.5 s
- switchable between °C / °F
- Digital display
- Automatic focusing
- USB cable (1.8 m)
- MSRP ca. $45
- CamScripter App allows to running of micro apps (Node.js script) inside the Raspberry Pi and fetch data from an external device (such as thermometers)
- The ready-made micro app (Node.js script) tailored for this specific USB thermometer is available for free – just download the micro-app from GitHub
- CamOverlay App is an in-camera app that generates dynamic graphic overlays and displays them directly in Axis camera’s video stream – in this case, with real-time data from the thermometer
- MSRP $498
Learn more about CamScripter RPi in this product sheet where we explain how to set up a Raspberry Pi to work with our app and how to prepare CamScripter RPi to work with micro apps of your choice.
Open your internet browser and type in the IP address of your Raspberry Pi to open CamScripter App UI. The IP address must be in the following format: http://localhost:52520/settings.html
Upload the K3 Pro Sensor package.
Click “Start” to launch the micro application.
To set the thermometer up, open CamScripter App UI in your browser, and access the K3 Pro Sensor via the gear button next to the installed thermometer package.
Here you can select temperature limit, choose between Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature scales, and specify widget position.